Friday, December 30, 2016

Merry Christmas 2016


I can't believe Christmas is less than a week away! This week had a lot of ups and downs.  I really thought that the spirit of Christmas would soften people's hearts but nope not here in Falls Lake.  People yell at us literally every day. 😳 But it's okay.  Some good things that happened this week were

-Dinner with Gabby Cabrera.  She is a returning less active.  She is so awesome! She has quite the story.  She is Dominican and has tons of energy and passion. She is hilarious too!  She is raising her son Jacob who is about 6 months old by herself.  She is incredible! 

-Went on exchanges to Wake Forest 1st ward with Sister Skalla. (As STL we go on exchanges every week).  It was so weird to be back in that apartment sleeping in the same bed!  I got to see the Schnegelberger family, and Sister Coombs and Sister McGannon.  It was a good day. 

-We had our relief society Christmas Dinner on Thursday night and Lashima and Imani came with us.  Which is also where I found out little Clark had been born!!!  Seriously I was so shocked but really happy to at least know before Monday!!  Earlier that day a sister in our ward asked one of us to share a Christmas memory or story that helped you find the true meaning of Christmas or something like that.  I have the story of the "Other Wise Man" a photocopied version, with me so I just read that.  I could feel the spirit just fill the whole room as a read about Artaban and his quest to find the King.  That story is so familiar to me since we read it every year, but the same spirit and emotion comes to me each time I read it.  Fast forward to Sunday at church and a sister, Sister Howell, comes up to me and says "Merry Christmas!" and hands me a hard copy of "The Other Wise Man.”  She said "it's really hard to find since it's out of print but I found a used copy on Amazon.  Now you can have your own copy instead of a photo copied one.”  I was stunned.  I literally had met this person only once before at dinner at her house.  It was seriously the nicest thing ever!! 

-We tracted a lot this week.  One day it was particularly cold and we knocked on this woman's door.  She answered and her son was at the door as well.  They already have a church they attend so they weren't interested but were very kind to us.  We kept knocking and the son walks up to us, he's probably only about 11 and says, "I think it's great what you guys are doing spreading the word of Christ, go get yourselves something warm," and gives us a gift card to Starbucks!!!  I just love nice people. 

-We finally have set a baptismal date with Alex and Alexus!  January 7th.  They are such smart, good kids.  Pray that her mom will soften her heart and allow them to be baptized! 

I have had a lot of good studies lately and this morning I studied about the life of Howard W. Hunter.  I didn't know a thing about him but he was a pretty phenomenal guy!  Here is a quote from him:

"The Savior dedicated his life to blessing other people.. Never did He give in expectation of receiving.  He gave freely and lovingly, and His gifts were of inestimable value... We should strive to give as He gave.  To give of oneself is a holy gift.  We give as a remembrance of all the Savior has given...This Christmas, mend a quarrel.  Seek out a forgotten friend.  Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust.  Write a letter.  Give a soft answer.  Encourage youth.  Manifest your loyalty in word and deed.  Keep a promise.  Forgo a grudge.  Forgive an enemy. Apologize.  Try to understand.  Examine your demands on others.  Think first of someone else.  Be kind.  Be gentle.  Laugh a little more.  Express your gratitude. Welcome a stranger.  Gladden the heart of a child.  Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth.  Speak your love and then speak it again." -Howard W. Hunter "The Gifts of Christmas"

I am so incredible blessed to be a missionary during the most wonderful time of the year.  This week I was so touched by the simplest acts of kindest others gave to me.  I realized that I have been far too focused on myself.  The only true peace can be found through the unselfish service we give to others as we strive to emulate the Savior's perfect example.  I am reminded and humbled over and over again that I will never be perfect, but that the only true peace that I have felt in my life is through living the principles of the gospel.  I hope each of you will place the Savior at the center of this Christmas Season and every other time in between.  I testify that He was born, He died, and lives again to give us resurrection, salvation, and eternal life. 

I love each of you!

xoxo Sister Dearden

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment