Wednesday, March 11, 2015

perspective

On Tuesday I had the amazing opportunity to hear Elder Bednar speak at a devotional given at the institute at the U.  Of course I was late and had a heck of a time trying to find a parking spot. 
( I blame satan, he just really didn't want me to get to listen to an apostle) 

I finally made it in and had to sit and the very, very back so Elder Bednar was just a little speck on the horizon.  However, it didn't matter so much if I could actually see him, what matters is that I could hear him. And boy am I glad that I did.

At the beginning of the meeting he gave out a number that members of the audience could send questions to and he would receive them on his iPad.  Technology, right?

It was such a cool experience because he did not have a prepared message, but just chose a few questions and him and his wife answered them.  It truly felt like having a conversation with an apostle.  
One topic discussed was the process of choosing a spouse. Obviously, I'm not in that stage of life yet but Elder and Sister Bednar gave some seriously good advice that really hit home for me. 
Sister Bednar talked about not creating a list of the 10 things you want in a future spouse, but to be the type of person you would want your spouse to be. Light attracts light. 
I always had an issue back in Young Women's when our teachers would have us create those "lists".  Chances are you're not going to find someone that fulfills all of your "requirements", because people are human, they make mistakes and they have flaws.   

Elder Bednar touched on this as well saying that we should not keep searching for the "perfect" one.  He said that Sister Bednar and him were about as opposite as they could be, but they've been married for 40 years now so they must be doing something right. 

(Story time: Elder Bednar was talking about all the differences him and his wife share and Sister Bednar came up and interrupted him and said "But you still love me, right?" and he kissed her!! Cutest thing I've ever seen)

  Elder Bednar also said something that I hope will always stay with me, 

"You don't find a happy marriage, you create it." 

For a good portion of my life I have been duped into thinking that there is that "perfect" person out there for me.  And here is an apostle of the Lord saying "There's no such thing as soulmates." Wow. It truly changed my whole perspective on the process of finding a spouse and when it comes that time in my life hopefully I will be a little more knowledgable. 

I am SO grateful for apostles and a living prophet today.  The spirit I felt in that meeting was so strong, you could almost cut it with a knife. I know that these men are called of God and I am so grateful for the messages that they share. 

The church is true everyone. 

PS my call comes in a week. 

 post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment