I'm gonna start out with the biggest miracle of the week,
VICTORIE CAME TO CHURCH! Only took a month of inviting and she finally did it!
We were standing at the doors greeting people as they came in and the meeting
started and no sign of her. We call her and she's on her way but isn't going to
be there for 20 minutes. So we go in, take the sacrament, and go out and wait
again. She finally comes! Just in time
to hear a talk by our Stake President, which was great all about kindness and
being Christlike.
Gospel principles was all about scriptures and it was good!
Nobody brought up false doctrine or steered us off into the deep end. Then 3rd
hour came. The weirdest hour of church I've ever experienced in church and
there was a non-member there!!! It was combined with all the adults and the
Stake President and his counselor are conducting the meeting. President Chandler gets up there and says,
"Alright I'm teaching something today that I haven't prepared, but you
have prepared! We're just going to
answer questions of things that have been on your mind spiritually."
At first I'm excited because General Authorities do this
kind of thing a lot and it's always great! First question, "What do we do
if there's a catastrophe in the area?" HOLD UP. WHAT. NO! That is
not the kind of thing we should be discussing right now. So the whole meeting
turns into a emergency preparedness class. Complete with questions like, Should we share
our food storage with our neighbors? What
do we do if a gunman comes in to the chapel? and the like. Thankfully somehow Victorie wasn't scared away!
It was crazy after Sacrament a member
came up to her and they had grown up in the same town together! That member is only a convert of a few years
too. Miracles!
Back up to the beginning of the week,
we had another great lesson with Sister Collins and she bore her testimony to
us! So sweet. She passed her interview on Wednesday so she's all set for this
Saturday! I have neglected to mention
this, but I am related to Brother Collins! He is related to the pioneer Jonathan Browning,
which we are related to through my Grandma Jacobs line. I'm baptizing family!!!
haha
Unfortunately my
investigator Lynda in Wake Forest has the flu so won't be getting baptized this
Saturday, but I just got news that her son has also been taking the lessons and
is going to be baptized so they will hopefully be getting baptized
together!!
Also I have to give a
shout out to Brother Phillips. I don't
know if I've talked about him but he's literally my favorite. He came with us to teach an older couple we've
been visiting but haven't started teaching until recently, Mack and Sharon. Mack has Alzheimers pretty severe so he's
there for the lessons but isn't in a state to actually be taught. He is such a neat guy though! He joined the army at 17 during WWII and lived
in Germany for a time and they used to go back and visit all the time. He speaks German to us and will sing his
German songs and play his harmonica. Sharon
is very active in her Methodist church, but is very kind to us and has agreed
to listen. Brother Phillips joined the
church in his 30's but his wife didn't. He is 79 but looks 60 and still works
full time. He's gotten into the habit of calling us "ying" and
"yang.” He's basically like our
Grandpa away from home. During our
lesson he said, "You know Joseph Smith said that the Methodists were the
closest to the truth, so you're close!" haha Sharon is pretty comfortable
in her church and didn't understand why we do baptisms for the dead. After the lesson Brother Phillips took us out
for ice cream.
We went to
Fayatteville 3 times this week, which is an hour drive there and an hour back. Once for a Zone Activity, then for Zone
Training, and again for a counseling appointment. So. Much. Driving.
Antoinette came to
church again! Send some prayers her way, we're trying to help her improve her
living situation right now.
There is a whole lot
more I could include, but I just don't have the time.
I read a really
amazing article in the ensign this morning
READ IT! IT'S GREAT!
OK I LOVE YOU ALL BYE
No comments:
Post a Comment