Sunday, August 7, 2016

One Year


You know you've been on a mission for one year when...

  • When your legs are more red than white from the amount of bug bites you have
  • When President has been out as long as you have
  • All the missionaries you know and like are already home
  • You've given up on matching your outfits, you just wear whatever is clean.
  • You knew the life before "tiwi"
  • You get a Spanish planner cause "why not?" You have everything memorized in English.
  • You've now seen two sister missionaries marry their District Leader
  • The word "chummy" existed, didn't exist, and now exists again. 
  • You get fat. 

HOLY COW I'VE BEEN A MISSIONARY FOR A WHOLE YEAR.  I can remember so perfectly the day I went into the MTC.  Boy, I sure didn't know what I was getting myself into! haha 
This year has been such an incredible blessing and privilege, but man is it hard work.  Nothing worth having ever comes ease, so it is in the gospel.  Missions are so intense in their power to cause us to grow and develop spiritually. The growth I've seen in myself is absolutely astounding.  I knew next to nothing about this gospel before I came out.  Truly, I was so naive.  But each and every experience on my mission has taught me what I have needed to learn.  And I'm still learning. 

I've learned that I need to rely completely upon Heavenly Father.  It has become almost an open line of communication that is there constantly. Talking, asking, pleading.  I would be nothing without His guidance.  Everything is about our individual relationship with Him, our Heavenly Father. 

I've learned that everything boils down to, do we love the Lord.  Are we obeying this rule because it's a rule and we've got to do our duty, or is it because we love the Lord?  It's all about our motives that are going to lead us to a change of heart.  We can go out here and sacrifice our 18 months, but if we don't have a willing heart and mind, then it will make no difference.  Not just here on my mission, but for the life after.  We're going to have to make some hard sacrifices for this church for this cause.  Where is our heart going to be?  Are we converted to this Gospel?  Why are we still here? 

President Uchtdorf has said
 "My dear friends... if Jesus Christ were to sit down with us and ask for an accounting of our stewardship, I am not sure He would focus much on programs and statistics. What the Savior would want to know is the condition of our heart. He would want to know how we love and minister to those in our care, how we show our love to our spouse and family, and how we lighten their daily load. And the Savior would want to know how you and I grow closer to Him and to our Heavenly Father."

I've been out for 1 year. But why am I still here? I desire to follow Jesus Christ and do all that He asks of me. Cause I long to make it home. Home with my family, my Father in Heaven and Savior, Jesus Christ.  And I plan on taking a few more people with me there here in North Carolina. 

A few miracles of the week:

-Sister Galford a less active of many years, came to church this Sunday and brought her non-member 15 year old son who we've been teaching. They stayed all three hours. 
-Antionette, another less active, came with us to church. The ward welcomed her back with loving open arms, She said, "I didn't think anyone would remember me!"  In this church, you are remembered. 
-Sister Collins, a non-member, but one of the most active non-members you will ever meet has agreed to be baptized on August 20th after 20 years of investigating the church. 

Love, Sister Dearden


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment