Monday, June 6, 2016

That time when some sister missionaries got to wear pants... but not us

What even happened this week. I am SO exhausted. We moved out of our apartment yesterday, but can't move into the new one until Thursday so I am living with the 2nd sisters yet again. But they're good ones :) Meanwhile that meant we had to pack up everything in the whole place.  I literally packed everything.  S. Bobbitt admitted to not helping me so I can admit that to ya'll. Then the office people choose to move us on a holiday, on a Monday when literally everyone and their dog is out of town.  Sister Huguely, her daughter and daughter's boyfriend (also a member) came and helped us thank goodness! Two out of the three elders came to help us cause the other one wanted to play basket ball. #typical And then Sister and Elder Scott. (office missionaries).  It was absolute madness.  It also started pouring down rain, but thankfully near the end.  When we finally made it to the Sister's apartment I took three Advil and crashed for a good two hours. 

ANYWAYS. The work is slowly ever slowly starting to pick up a little bit. 

1st Tender Mercy of the week:
Out with Sister Duncan trying to contact former investigators. Someone comes to mind and we go stop by and she's home!  Her name is Crystal and she is a single mom of 5 kids.  Some of her kids our on Sister Duncan's track team.  We weren't able to teach a full on lesson cause she talked quite a bit, but it was alright cause we got to know her really well and she was open to having us come back!

2nd Tender Mercy of the week: 
Had an incredible lesson with Lynda finally!  It was on the plan of Salvation. It literally answered all of her questions and it really made sense to her.  She mentioned that she doesn't have much interest in her church anymore and she feels real peace when she's at our church.  It's amazing!  She just won't commit to a date yet, but she's so close!  She came to church on Sunday, stayed all three hours and absolutely loved it. 

3rd Tender Mercy of the week:
We finally found a new investigator!! Their names our Kevin and Wendy and we've been trying to get up with them for forever. They were taught around a year ago by Elders, and they kept trying to get up with them and it never happened so they gave them to us. #alsotypical  BUT we were out and about on Friday night and S. Bobbitt had the thought of visiting some active members to try to get a referral, but they turned out not to be home, but on our way to the member I noticed that we passed by where Kevin and Wendy live and thought we should try them even though it was like 8:30 and we were a good deal away from the apartment.  There was a car in the driveway and it looked like they were home!  We knocked and we waited.  We knocked again and we waited. Then finally they open the door! They invited us in and we were able to have a short discussion about the Atonement and set up a return appointment. God is good! 

We also finally had a dinner with the Bishop.  We haven't been able to do that the whole time I've been in the area.  It was great and they even gave us a referral! 

I read Helaman 10 this week and it really hit home.  In it Nephi, the son of Helaman is trying to convert the apostate Nephites.  He has literally just predicted the death of their chief judge and there are still many who disbelieve he is a prophet.  In the chapter, Nephi is on his way back home feeling beaten down.  When the Lord speaks to him and says, “Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done.”   I can't tell you the number of times I've been coming back to the apartment feeling like dirt cause it felt like we accomplished nothing, but the Lord comforts Nephi in calling him "blessed' for the things which he did, because of his "unwearyingness" to declare the word.  Nephi didn't give up and he sought to do the will of the Lord. The Lord then gives Nephi more power, the sealing power in fact!  You'd think now that Nephi would have success right?  He's been blessed by the Lord and given increased power, he's going to go out and convert everyone now right?  Unfortunately it's still now. The outcome of Nephi's mission can't be measured by the number of his converts, because the Nephites still have their agency and they can still choose to reject.  It gave me some peace as I read and came to understand, and as I continue to understand what I need to do as a missionary and to be okay with the outcome in knowing that I am doing the will of the Lord. 

Love ya'll! If you send me anything send it to the stake center 5060 Six forks rd. Raleigh

Love Sister Dearden


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment