Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thanksgiving


Hey ya'll, 

So this week was definitely a slower one. We had ALL of our appointments with our investigators cancel. It was almost comical! But there was still some tender mercies that kept us going. 

Monday we had dinner with Sister Bobbie-Jean Sellars and her family.  Let me tell you, they are COUNTRY, haha they were awesome.  Her sister, her, and her two sons all live together.  When Sister Michael mentioned that she was from California, Sis. Sellars sister said, "But you’re so nice!" haha people here just can't stand California.  They think they’re a bunch of liberals. haha she said "I keep praying that all the good people will get out of California and then it will just fall into the ocean." haha I love the South.  We went and tried to visit a former investigator that Sis. Sellars knows, but she wasn't interested.  Story of our lives. 

Tuesday we had dinner with the Thevenins and she took us to go see people as well.  We were pretty unsuccessful, but we were finally able to contact a less active sister that we have been trying to contact since I got here!  That was really nice.  We had zone training on Wednesday, which is when all the missionaries in the zone get together and get some training.  Our District Leader gave a great what I would call, motivational talk about what kind of missionaries we want to be by the end of our missions and how we can better consecrate ourselves to the work.  It was definitely something I needed to hear. 
Thursday we had Sister Mcgill with us and it absolutely poured all day!  So we were grateful to have her.  She is so funny, she always says, "Heavens to mergatroid" and I have absolutely no idea what that means, haha.  We once again tried a myriad of people, but with little success.  We did meet a new part member family and we are supposed to meet with them this week!  Like I said little tender mercies kept us going haha. 

Friday we met with the Goodrows who are an older couple that is part member, she is the member.  She is just the sweetest southern old lady.  I felt that we needed to share Elder Uchtdorf's talk "A Summer with Great-Aunt Rose.”  Turns out, that talk was what I needed.  I had been so bummed out about not finding success this week that I forgot that I just needed  to remember that "God didn't design us to be sad. He created us to have joy!  So if we trust in Him, He will help us to notice the good, bright, hopeful things of life.  And sure enough, the world will become brighter.  No, it doesn't happen instantly, but honestly, how many good things do?  Seems to me the best things, like homemade bread or orange marmalade, take patience and work."  Heavenly Father sent me a little reminder that I need to have some patience and go to WORK.  No this week did not turn out exactly as hoped, but there were still some wonderful bright things that did.  We met new less-actives, we got to know members better, and we still did some missionary work.  All we need is a little faith, hope and love.  

Right after our visit with the Goodrows we were walking home and I wasn't entirely sure what was the way back to our house so I turned down a street that I thought was right and it led us to a potential investigator's door that we had tried before and wasn't home and she was home!  Turns out her best friend is a Mormon and she wants to meet with us next week!  See, some good, bright, hopeful things! 

Missionary Bowlers
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!  Remember to have "a little faith, put on a bright dress, slip on your dancing shoes, and skip down your path of life, singing as you go!"  I am so grateful for Heavenly Father and the ways that He shows our love for us.  I'm grateful for my crazy companion Sis. Michael, who absolutely destroys at bowling.  She had a 100 points on me.  I am grateful for member's non-member husbands who make me chocolate raspberry cake.  I am grateful for Sister Lambdin who fed us lunch this week and her husband who gave us a tour of his artwork.  I am grateful that I still have 14 more months to figure out this whole mission thing, and I am so grateful for my family.  

I LOVE YA'LL. 🍁🌽

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment