Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Hurricanes and Conference


HI!

So in case ya'll didn't know there was a hurricane coming!!!  But, It didn't come.  We just got a whoooole lot a rain.  So much rain that there has been flash flooding all weekend!  It has been quite the adventure.  Thursday night we were told to get our 72 hr kits ready cause we may evacuate at any time.  Then the rain came.  Oh my gosh you have never heard rain so loud!!  I did not sleep very well that night cause all you could hear is rain and we have a darn skylight which makes it all the more noisy.  So that was an exciting night!  Because of the hurricane and weather we didn't have a super successful week.  People here are terrified of weather, they even canceled school today!  But it was kind of nice to have a little quieter week. 

I've officially been on my mission for two months!  How the heck did that happen??  Times flies when you are having fun.  It really is so fun! and scary, and awkward, but hey that is missionary work.  This week we had exchanges on Wednesday so the new Sister Training Leader Sister Atkinson came to my area and Sister West went with Sister Bauer.  So I was basically in charge for the day. HA. It actually wasn't that bad.  I just forgot to pray at every appointment and didn't leave any one with commitments, haha, but it's ok!  I'm learning right? 

So Babbs and Ronnie were kicked out of Mary Brown's home because of her crazy drug dealer daughter who accused them of something they didn't do.  So they are currently living out of their car under a bridge :( Yeah talk about sad.  So we got them an appointment with the bishop to try to get them some help because two 20 something sister missionaries really can't deal with a situation like that.  So on Wednesday during the exchange Sister Kandare took us to bring them some gas under their bridge and then they followed us to the church so they could meet with the bishop.  It went really well!  I was able to give them a church tour and they were both really excited about the church.  The Bishop said that if they find a place to live they will help them with the fees to get in!  So they are looking and looking!  They were supposed to watch conference with us on Sunday but didn't make it because Babbs has an abscessed tooth that she needed to get looked at.  So that was a bummer, pray they find a place to live! 

Conference was wonderful!!  Although it was so so sad to see President Monson so frail :( I was panicking while he was at the pulpit.  I wanted to run up there and hold him up!  I am excited about the new apostles they seem very humble and willing servants.  Janiya watched all of conference with us on Saturday and the Kandare's so that was really fun.  We hadn't seen her in a while.  On Sunday we watched the first session at the church and we're planning on watching the second until the transformer blew up and the power went out... So that happened!  We then had to quickly find another place to watch conference.  The 2nd sisters called someone in their ward who they claimed was 5 minutes away and we set out for their house…. one death-defying drive later we made it and were able to watch the last session in a nice, warm, dry house.  I just loved conference SO much.  I had so many questions answered.  It is becoming clearer and clearer that these are the last days.  There seemed to be a lot of emphasis on that, as well as the power of Christ's atonement.  It was so spirit filled!  I am excited to look back and study them again. 

The ride back to apartment yesterday wasn't quite as bad because we stuck to main, less flooded roads.  However, we had the shock of our lives on our way back when we got a call from... LESLIE AND KENNY!!! They are back!!  Of course it was Kenny on the phone so I could barely understand a word he said, but the gist of it was they had gone back to their church and it still didn't feel right and it wasn't the church for them and not to worry about Ben because he wasn't around anymore.  We are meeting with them tonight!!  Heavenly Father answers prayers people!!  We are going into this a little wary though because they have already been persuaded otherwise once, so hopefully they have true desires and we can teach them clearly.  Nonetheless, it was a happy day! 

All in all things are going well despite being a little wet here in Wilmington, North Carolina.  The work is moving forward still!  We are planting some seeds. 

Love ya'll

Sister Dearden 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment