Dearest Family,
I hate to start out an email on a
depressing note, but we had something really devastating happen this week that
I just want to get over with first. On
Thursday we had a great lesson with Leslie and Kenny (the couple we've been
teaching for over a month) and we watched the Restoration Video with them and
talked more about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. We set up a time for us to come back and watch
the general women's session with Leslie as well. Leslie's brother Ben was there as well, he
didn't really participate and left a couple times throughout but seemed like a
nice guy!
Thursday night we received two
texts:
One from Leslie's phone: "Look
this is ben ya'll need to leave my family alone if you do not I will be calling
the cops."
Another from Kenny's: "Hello
sisters this is Pastor Dr. Patricia Rongotes I am Kenny and Leslie's pastor. They will no longer be available to meet with
you or be in your temple. Please do not contact them any more. We are in the middle of bible study. They are my sheep. Blessings."
Well you can imagine just what that
felt like, a big ol' knife to the back. I
was so devastated. I don't think I've
ever felt quite like that in my life. It
was just awful. It was so bizarre. They must have received some anti information
from their pastor. I went through a lot
of emotions ranging from complete anger and frustration to depression. I love them both so much and I just didn't
understand why this would happen. But
thank goodness we have the wonderful and amazing Sister Kandare! We actually called her that night cause I was
very upset. The next day we were
planning on going out with her, so she
shows up with a goodie bag for us and a wonderful talk and scriptures (some
words changed :) )
Alma 17:9-10
"And it came to pass that they journeyed many days in
the wilderness of Wilmington, and they fasted much and prayed much that the
Lord would grant unto them a portion of his Spirit to go with them, and abide
with them, that they might be an instrument in the hands of God to bring, if it
were possible, their brethren, the Wilmingtonites, to the knowledge of the
truth, to the knowledge of the baseness of the traditions of their fathers,
which were not correct."
"And it came to pass that the Lord did visit them with
his Spirit and said unto them: Be comforted and they were
comforted."
Alma 26:27
"Now when our hearts were depressed, we were about to
turn back, behold the Lord comforted us and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the
Wilmingtonites, and bear with patience thine afflictions and I will give unto
you success."
This gave me so much comfort!! I am so disappointed in what happened, but I
know that I have to keep praying and fasting and we will still find success. I ask that you all keep Leslie and Kenny in
your prayers that their hearts may be softened and that they will contact us
again soon.
Now we did still have some wonderful
things happen this week too! On Tuesday
we taught 6 lessons and 5 of those were Member presents! Heck yeah. We also saw Babbs on Tuesday and it was
really, really great. They are currently
living at Mary Brown's home like I said but her house is not in the best
situation. Mary Brown's daughter is
doing drugs and there are crazy people in and out of there so Ronnie and Babbs
sleep in their truck :( It is awful and we are trying to find them a place to
live. But they are flat broke. They are getting some money at the first of
the month though. Sister Hill was with
us and she gave them $25. Babbs response
was something I will always remember. She became so overcome with emotion at
just $25. It is so hard to be in my
position because we aren't allowed to give anyone money, but I want to help so
bad and I have the ability to. I just
have to pray that the Lord will provide others to help them with those needs. All we can do is help her on her way to coming
unto Christ and receiving those blessings. Which she will, she is amazing.
Wednesday we went to the temple!! It is TINY, just like Palmyra. You walk in and the font is right there and
the rooms are just so small. It was a
wonderful experience. Our mission
president and his wife joined us and there is nothing that will ever be like
sitting in the celestial room surrounded by missionaries. I finally felt some peace which was much
needed since we are always go, go, going. Thursday we had a great lesson with Rachel and
her Mom at the Gothe's. Rachel is the
one who was just baptized recently! And I finally have memorized the first
vision so I shared it and the spirit was so strong. Her mom was crying!! It was
awesome. I have noticed that whenever we
talk about Joseph Smith the spirit comes in immediately. That just shows the power of its truthfulness.
Saturday we watched the Women's session
of conference. It was SO good. It was
over far too quickly. I LOVED Uchtdorfs
talk. I hope ya'll go watch it cause it
was so beautiful and poignant.
Then Sunday Babbs and Mary Brown came
to Sacrament!! YAY! Despite the fact that Babbs was assualted the night before!
Yeah some seriously messed up stuff
happens. Pray that they will be kept
safe! and us of course. We also had an
amazing lesson with Babbs later in the day on temples. It was so cool her eyes filled with tears when
we showed her a picture and described what happens inside. She is so elect! I love her dearly. Things just need to start getting better for
her and her husband. We are praying they
find somewhere to live soon. We were
able to talk with her husband briefly as well and he is coming around and he said
he'd be at church next week!
Despite the set backs we experienced
this week the work continues to move forward. I am incredibly grateful for the strength I
have received to endure through missionary work! Cause it is hard work, but so rewarding. I read my patriarchal blessing this morning
and in it it says that the Lord will require me to "Be Brave.” I have definitely had to be brave in many
instances so far on my mission. I never
thought I would be here, because I never thought it was something I was capable
of doing. There are some moments where I
think to myself, "I am really doing this, I am on a mission!"
I love ya'll!
Sister Dearden
P.S. And a HUGE THANKYOU to Chris and
Jamie for the package!!! It came at the most perfect time. I needed that! and Oreos and blue stripes??
You know me so well :)
No comments:
Post a Comment