This week FLEW by, but it was another
amazing week! Sister West and I are
really getting into the swing of things and we are seriously always on the same
page. It's the best!
Monday wasn't too exciting we just went
shopping and cleaned and such.
We had an awesome experience on Tuesday
though! We were just walking down the
street tracting. There was a group of
kids outside a house next to a hammock and I had a really good feeling about
going to talk to them. Sister West was
hesitant because she was already feeling anxious about being out later and on
an unknown street. Well I directed us
over there to talk to them and started up a conversation. Turns out one of them was a girl that someone
from our ward had brought to church the week before!! She’s also the sister of someone we had
originally set out to contact! It was a
miracle. She was such a sweet girl and
super friendly. When we introduced
ourselves she said, "Are you Mormons?" We got to talk about the Book of Mormon a little
bit, and gave her a Book of Mormon. She
said she'd read it tonight! We haven't
been able to follow up with her, but I am really excited about it. God definitely directed me to talk to those
kids. He is truly preparing a way for
each of His children to hear the gospel.
Unfortunately, we were out in the
boonies that night and I got absolutely eaten ALIVE by mosquitos, and then the
next day I had a whole bunch of red bites all over my neck and chest. Turns out they were flea bites. Yeah how gross is that? We are around animals nearly everyday and
let's just say we aren't always in the cleanest places... so yep I have
mosquito bites and flea bites all over me. I feel like the one-eyed Alien in Lilo and
Stitch. But they have gotten much
better!
Wednesday we had District meeting as
always and I was in charge of the "Health and Safety" portion so I
taught every one to make green smoothies! haha it was fun. We then had a less active meet us in the
Family History center and help her with her family history! It made me realize I should have been paying
more attention to my mom when she does family history... sorry mom :) Cause I
don't really know how to do it haha but Sister West does! Leslie and Kenny also came to do family
history as well, but there were some issues with their email so it didn't
really work out. We had dinner at a
members house and then went to see Darlene. I can't remember if I have talked about her
yet, but she is really great, but doesn't quite understand who we are or what
we do... she kinda just thinks it's a bible study. But we are working on that! The gospel is going to help her and her family
so much.
Thursday was First Transfer Training
Meeting in Fayetteville and of course we got a ride there with Sister Kandare! Cause she's amazing and loves us. Not like everyone else in the Ward!!! No jk
I'm just saying that because we literally asked EVERYONE for a ride and nobody
could. Oh boy what do I say about
transfer training? Basically they
singled me out the ENTIRE meeting. It
was bizarre. Even Sister West thought
so! One of the Assistants to the
President is Elder Firmage, who went to Davis and is a year older than me. Anyways, both of them kept asking me questions
and using me for an example!! It was awful. The president has a very interesting way of
teaching. He has us role play, but then
afterwards he will show us how he wants us to role play. So the way he does it is "the
correct" way. So it's all very
nerve racking because you want to try to do it his way! Also, he asked me to
tell him what the Law of Chastity was. So
yeah that was a fun time. I really did learn a lot from the training, but it
was just uncomfortable and I hate being put on the spot. Afterwards, we had dinner with Sister Keller
at Casey's buffet! Oh man it was SO
good. It's called "soul food"
and it's an all you can eat buffet of tradition southern food. I tried ruddabega (no clue how to spell that),
collared greens, (not my favorite) and deviled crab (amazing)! There was also pigs feet and Chitlins! But I was not gonna try that. haha
Friday was an interesting day. We had plans to go see Cari with Sister
Meadows but then Cari got sick. Then
there was some miscommunication with Sister Meadows and she thought she wasn't
doing anything with us so made other plans. Well we went ahead and made other appointments
thinking we had a ride from Sister Meadows. But of course we were wrong and so lots of
plans fell through. But we had a miracle
when another member of our ward was able to come and give us a ride to one of
our appointments! But most of the day
was spent weekly planning. That night we
had a dinner appointment at Leslie and Kenny's and Sister Hill was coming with
us. It was AMAZING. I will try to sum it all up as best I can. Leslie talked about how happy she felt after
she came to church. She said that they
have never felt like that coming back from their other church, but they are
always bickering and fighting. But they
came to church and they felt good, and there was no fighting afterwards! They said that our church is the church for
them! Leslie said after her blessing she felt like a new person!! This is music to a missionaries ears! I had to keep my jaw from dropping to the
ground. I felt so happy! It is so neat to see the changes taking place
in them. We taught them more about the
Book of Mormon like what it is, where it came from, how we have it etc. They both said they believe it is true and
Kenny was telling us about how he was sharing it with other people at the
Nursing Home! Like what? Where did you people come from?? Haha they are SO
ready! And Leslie says she feels guilty when she doesn't read every day. We also had a lesson about the Word of Wisdom.
And they were completely accepting! They both smoke E-Cigs but they said that they
would try to stop. It is just so amazing
to see how much Heavenly Father works miracles in the lives of His Children. He wants them to know the truth and so He
leads them to it. Sister West and I have
been so humbled, cause it really isn't us! It is the spirit that teaches them and touches
their hearts! They are preparing for
baptism on Nov. 7th but we will probably move it up depending on how well the
Law of Chastity lesson goes this week :)
Saturday the Elders put together a
Breakfast social for members and non-members, but it was pretty pitiful. Sister West and I want to come up with
something better in the future! But Leslie and Kenny came and so did Marquita
and Janiya! We actually ended up teaching them a combined lesson! haha it was
kind of crazy. We taught keeping the Sabbath
day holy and they all committed to doing it! Marquita and Janiya want to be baptized the
first week of December.
Leslie and Kenny came to church on
Sunday! It was such a good day. It was the Primary Program so I'm really glad
they were there. Janiya came as well and
participated in the Program! Marquita
didn't make it to church though... we're working on it. Sister West and I then taught a kick-butt
lesson on talents during gospel principles. Leslie and Kenny joined us in the choir! haha
they are just the best. It's stake
conference this weekend and they are going to be in it with us! They said again how they feel that this church
is right for them and they like how accepted they feel when they are here. We were also able to finally set up a Family
Search account for Leslie and we showed them a video about temples. Leslie said she really liked it and you could
tell that she was interested. I can just
see them in white already! :)
Another amazing thing happened
yesterday. We went to visit Mary Brown
who is an older woman who is pretty sick doesn't make it to church very often,
but she is one incredible lady! There
are always people from all walks of life at her house and she lets people stay
there a lot. We met two people there,
Babs (Babette) and Ronnie who are married. We taught them all about the Book of Mormon
and Restoration and then read most of Ether 12 with them. Ronnie has done a lot of studying of the Bible
and had some awesome insights! We talked
about how weak things become strong and he used the example of Moses. It was great. They were both very attentive and interested. Babs had met with missionaries in the past,
but she said that she had never understood what the Book of Mormon was, she
thought it was the "Mormon Bible.”
But she said that she would love to come to church! Sister West was on fire that night and was
pulling out all sorts of scriptures that helped answers their questions and you
could feel the spirit so strong. At the
end of the lesson Babs said to her husband "I believe the Book of Mormon
is true, it just makes sense!" Ah it was just SO amazing! We're supposed
to meet with them again on Tuesday!
We didn't have the car this week so I
didn't think we could be as successful as we were last week, but boy was I
wrong! Although things didn't always
work out perfectly the Lord provided a way for us. And we were able to teach 16 lessons! I am absolutely loving my time here. I don't want it to end! Sister West might get transferred in 6 weeks
and I am like panicking haha but hopefully she will get to stay a little longer
once the President sees how great we're doing :)
Alma 26:35"Now have we not reason
to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason
to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even
unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisodom and all
understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even
unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name."
Love ya'll!
Love, Sister Dearden
No comments:
Post a Comment