"When nobody else celebrates you, learn to celebrate yourself. It's not up to other people to keep you encouraged. It's up to you. Encouragement should come from the inside."
Isn't that the truth.
I am learning (ever so slowly) that it is up to me to determine how happy I am in life. I am in charge of my own happiness and it's alright to show myself some love every once and a while. And even more important to share this love with others, through service and kind words.
Everyone has their own unique challenges and we should treat each other a little more gently, with a little more love, patience, tolerance and care. But this includes YOURSELF.
If I could tell every person on this earth something it would be that your value is of infinite worth. Do not let anyone say or treat you differently. You've got something that no one else has and it's the fact that you are you.
And you are insanely cool.
So celebrate yourself and don't give one lick about what anyone else thinks.
Earlier this week I had convinced myself that this Valentine's Day was going to suck. I was going to see all the couple's posting on instagram, the bouquets of flowers in grocery stores, the chocolates, the stuffed animals,
everything.
And I was going to hate it all in my bitter, love-sick misery. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but somehow I realized that I was only making myself miserable, it was a choice to be miserable.
Now, I do have a lot of bitter feelings about love in general and I still have a LOT to overcome. And yes I still watched (500) Days of Summer and bawled like a baby. (Nothing like realizing you and Tom Hansen are one and the same)
I've had a really wonderful past couple of Valentine's days and they are memories I cherish, but this Valentine's day was every bit as good as the ones in the past, but in a very different way.
I decided to celebrate love in all its forms.
I wrote and sent notes to my family and friends to tell them how much I love and appreciate them.
I bought myself and my roommate Megan bouquets of flowers and then we proceeded to take a whole lotta cute pictures of each other with them.
I volunteered in my niece Kate's kindergarten class to help with their Valentine's day party. Ah man I love kids. It was so nostalgic to see them all line up and drop their valentine's into each others handmade boxes. It was always one of the best days of elementary school.
I worked on Friday night and Saturday morning and I got to help struggling men pick out gifts for their significant others.
I had lunch with a good friend.
I babysat my nephews, Bryson and Kellan, so my sister could enjoy her Valentine's night.
All in all, it was a very happy, love filled weekend.
and here's one that shows what an awkward human I am
wowza. Happy Valentine's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment