Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Elvis Presley and the Karate Kid

Dear whoever continues to read these emails 18 months and 2 weeks later,

My Heavenly Father has blessed me soooo much this past week I can't even begin to express how grateful I am. Pres. James allowed me and Sister Herring to attend the baptism of Jamie Garris in Pinehurst on Friday night. The Budays were able to drive us down and it worked out just perfect. It was an incredible experience to witness Thomas baptize Jamie! He had some help from Brother Lykins, he told him the words to say and Thomas repeated them and they both took Jamie down and back up. It was just so sweet. Two people who S. Hogge and I just knocked on their door and they said we could come back. Who would have thought just 3 months later, THIS would be happening. They both looked so happy. The service was pretty small because unfortunately it was the youth temple night so most of the ward was there. I was able to see some Winkleys, the Galfords, and a couple other people I love. And I was reunited with Sister Hogge!!! We both just bawled our eyes out the whole time are we're just so dumbfounded as to how this even happened because we truly did nothing, they were just prepared by Heavenly Father. The Spirit is the teacher and we are just the vessels. There was no better way to end my mission.

As I reflect upon these last 18 months, I don't think there has been a happier time in my life or the most challenging. Like Ammon in the Book of Mormon, "I cannot say unto you the smallest part which I feel."

There's just been so much. So much learning, re-learning and still learning. Growth and uncomfortable-ness. Happiness and sorrow. Stillness and seriousness. Confusion and discovery. And through it all just indescribable joyful moments. I have met so many incredible, wonderful people here that I know without a doubt I was supposed to be here for. members, non-members, companions. Heavenly Father sent me here to North Carolina for specific reasons, purposes, and people. I am just so grateful He loved me enough to answer a confused, struggling teenage girl prayers that I should serve a mission. and He continues answering my prayers. I owe just about everything I know about the Savior and His gospel to these past 18 months.

There are many things I still don't know, but if there is one thing my mission has taught me it is that the Book of Mormon is true. "and whatsoever thing is good is just and true; wherefore, nothing that is good denieth the Christ, but acknowledge that He is" The Book of Mormon is good, it is just pure goodness. It came directly from the ancient prophets to the hands of Joseph Smith for US. For our day. I know that the words it contains are true. They acknowledge Christ. That He lives. That our hope and faith and our joy is in Him. The book of Mormon teaches us about His Character, His attributes and His love more than any other book. No matter how many times your read the Bible you're not going to get what you can get when you read the Book of Mormon. If the Book of Mormon is true, than everything else is true too. Joseph Smith, modern day revelation, the temple, everything. It's all true. Every last bit of it and I'm thankful for the time I've had to share the truth with others.

I know that Heavenly Father is really and truly the Father of our spirits. He created us and loves us eternally no matter what. I have come to feel and recognize that love and the love that He has all of His children. He can see our true divine potential and has provided a way for us to reach that potential through giving us His son, Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for Him and for His atoning sacrifice. His strength, grace and mercy He offers us if only we turn to Him and repent and show our willingness is so real. I know that He understands me perfectly and loves me the same way our Father does.

There is a quote in the Bible Dictionary that says, "To labor for the conversion of one's self and others is a noble task." I am going to miss all of this SO so much. But this noble task is one that doesn't have an end. I will continue laboring for my conversion and for others until the day I'm called back Home.

I'll see y'all soon!

Love, Sister Hayley Dearden

PS I'm sure those of you are aware I've become a much more rounded shape here in NC so when you see me don't be too alarmed. it's still me.

No comments:

Post a Comment