Thursday, September 8, 2016

Joy Comes from Growth - and Growth Comes from Pain


Well Folks, I'M TRAINING! I knew it was coming but I just didn't want to accept it.  The funny part is SISTER MENDOZA IS ALSO TRAINING and she is going to WAKE FOREST!  My last area!  So we're both in this together! haha  It was crazy how the Lord was truly preparing me for it.  People would tell me I would and slowly one by one all of my friends on missions have become trainers so I guess it was just my time!  For some reason I haven't totally freaked out yet, I've had a sense of calm since President's call on Saturday night.  It is such a huge responsibility though, I hold a very influential role of how this missionaries entire mission goes. No pressure!  

Sister Hogge & Sister Dearden

This week was interesting considering we ran out of miles on Tuesday.  For those of you who don't know, we have a mileage limitation on our car.  To keep them in good condition, make sure missionaries don't go apostate and drive to Myrtle Beach, lots of reasons.  We had to do a lot of driving this transfer several times to Fayetteville, and we have an investigator out in Jackson Springs which is 30 miles round trip.  Hence we ran outta miles super fast and didn't pay enough attention.  Through sheer miracles we have found rides everywhere we've needed to go and have only used our car one time since Tuesday.  We surprisingly had a pretty good week consider we had no transportation. Unfortunately this will continue because we don't get more miles until the start of the month. 

Investigator Update: We met with Victorie and Robert twice this week!  First lesson on the Word of Wisdom. Not so good.  Robert doesn't see anything wrong with drinking Coffee.  We tried to explain we don't either we just know it's a commandment for our benefit.  Second lesson, much better!  There was finally a tiny sliver of progress from Robert!  Funny story about that one.  We meet the member who is taking us to the appointment at the church and she has her daughter and nephew with her who are both 19.  We start heading to the appointment, talking about what we are going to teach and everything and find out that the Nephew isn't a member!!!  We are taking a non-member to help us teach a non-member...alright then.  He grew up going to the LDS Church with family who are members so he knows a little bit, but he's super gung-ho about this other Christian church he attends now so we were just a little bit apprehensive going into this lesson.  It all turned out though!  We taught about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and how that is our pattern for living and that is why we bother living any commandment at all, because of the love that we have for our Savior and that we have a desire to follow Him.  Robert said, "So you're saying there are certain steps you have to follow?  I've been just trying to find the back door in!"  So something finally clicked for him.  At the end he said well I guess there are some changes I need to make and I said jokingly, "Well It's about time!" and he laughed and laughed.  This road for Robert is a slow one but it's happening step by step!  

Other cool things: Saw the Ewings twice this week. They fed us Thursday night, our only dinner of the week. She made a VEGAN lasagna for Sister Mendoza and it was delicious.  She said the blessing on the food which is the first prayer we've heard her say!  She's always declined the invitation.  We went to see them briefly last night for Sister Mendoza to say goodbye and we all just cried, including Lexy!  It was so funny, their visiting teacher came over earlier in the week and after she left Lexy said, "Well that wasn't too bad, every other time the Mormons come over they always cry!"  It's true though the spirit has always been so strong when we visit them.  Heavenly Father truly lead and directed us to this family and I am so grateful to have had the wonderful experience with Sister Mendoza to see them change. 

Galfords are doing well!  We have been really praying on how to reach out to her husband and we had an opportunity to talk with her.  She said that she had talked to her husband and he is totally supportive of the kids and her going to church and is willing to help out in that he's just not interested.  That was an answer to prayer to know that even though he doesn't yet join us, we have his support!  Cole has been reading from the Book of Mormon and during the Sacrament on Sunday, he had his scriptures open  Made my heart so happy. 

We had a powerful Sunday all about the Plan of Salvation and the need for opposition.  I wrote down something Brother Wadas said in his Sacrament meeting talk which is the title of this email, "Joy comes from growth and growth comes from pain."  It's true when you think about it, everything that I've learned from my short time here on this earth has come from a very painful and trying experience.  We studied this talk in Relief Society.  I gained another layer of understanding on why we truly do need opposition in all things to experience all that our Heavenly Father sent us here to experience. 

President Monson has said, "Our mortal life, however, was never meant to be easy or consistently pleasant. Our Heavenly Father … knows that we learn and grow and become refined through hard challenges, heartbreaking sorrows, and difficult choices.  Each one of us experiences dark days when our loved ones pass away, painful times when our health is lost, feelings of being forsaken when those we love seem to have abandoned us.  These and other trials present us with the real test of our ability to endure.”

I know that this experience of training is going to be a test and it's sure gonna make me grow.  Please send some prayers for me and Sister Mendoza!  I'm so grateful to have been her companion these last 2 transfers.  This area has truly seen miracles in our time together and she has taught me a great deal.  I am sad to be separating, but I know this is the Lord's will. 

Oh and 13 months already?          Love Sister Dearden 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment