Sunday, July 3, 2016

I eat more vegetables than any other time in my life


ATTENTION: My dear last companion Sister Bobbitt was wonderful enough to follow the spirit and was tracting in our old neighborhood and felt prompted to talk to the mailman. Turns out nobody moved into our old apartment yet and there was a whole bunch of letters for me!! I still have not received them but hoping she will forward them to me! I will get back to you soon! 

Well folks this week was kinda rough, but I will just keep to the highlights. 

We found three new investigators all in one lesson!  In previous weeks we spent a day going through the area book.  For those of you who don't know what an area book is, it is a binder full of records of past former and potential investigators.  It was an extremely monotonous day going through it, organizing, and calling people.  Nobody answered but one woman who said we could come and visit!  She had to cancel a couple times, but everything worked out finally and we were able to find a member (a miracle in itself, missionary work is SO hard in the summer time cause everyone is gone), to go with us.  Her name is Lisa Black and she is living with her daughter Melissa and family.  Lisa's mom was a member! but a less-active one from the sounds of it. They are super prepared! We have an appointment with them tonight so fingers crossed!

Also, I've found another Sister Kandare!! Ok no one will ever be Sister Kandare ever, but this one comes mighty close!  Her name is Sister Perini and she is a member here in Pinehurst.  We visited her Wednesday night and it was just so good!  She as S. Mendoza says, "Walks in the spirit.”  That's something I love about being a missionary is that I can just go to peoples houses’ and we can talk about the gospel and feel the spirit literally any time! 

I went on my first exchange and of course I was the one who stayed in the area with Sister Workman (STL), and Sister Mendoza went to Pembroke. Being here only three weeks made it a bit difficult.  I got lost only once though! Unfortunately we weren't able to get any appointments for most of the day so we mostly just tracted haha Sorry to Sister Workman!  The sun wasn't shining, but it was suffocating-ly humid.  It was funny, most of the people we talked to knew Mormons and had friends or family members that were members! No one was interested, but still had some good conversations. 

We had another lesson with the Alstons and finally met her husband!  It was SO good. The relief society president and Sister Alstons new visiting teacher came. They have been reading the Book of Mormon together and are all set on going to the temple!  I am so excited to get to be a part of their journey to an eternal family, Heavenly Father works miracles! 

Our prayers have been answered this week by receiving two member referrals that we are super excited about! 

Sunday we had a fireside called "Why I Believe," where 3 members shared their stories of how they came to believe in this church and in Jesus Christ. We had Tom, our investigator who we haven't seen in forever, come!!  I was hoping for a "spirit-punching-in-the-face" moment, but he is still pretty comfortable in his faith right now. The fireside was SO incredible and we had our bishop, the 1st counselor, and the 2nd counselor all invite him and his wife to dinner! haha They are rock stars. 

I found this scripture in my studies and I wanted to share. 

 "Behold, this is the promise of the Lord unto you, O ye my servants. Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
It is my testimony that Jesus Christ lives. Because of Him, we get the chance to start over, again, and again. I love Him. I'm trying to be like Him and I want to follow Him. I have such a long ways to go and sometimes I overwhelm myself thinking I will never get there. Jesus Christ loves us and I know that He loves me. 
Love, Sister Dearden

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment