Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Week Three (and a half)

Hello dearest friends and family!

I have survived another week here in Wilmington, NC! It was definitely an interesting one. Lots of good things happened, but also some bad.  Such is the work.  

Tuesday we had interviews with the Mission President! I had just barely had one the day I got here so it was a little redundant, but that's ok.  They are really, really wonderful people and I am so glad I was sent to this mission.  On Tuesday we also helped with Bingo at the Assisted living home.  Quite exciting!  Just kidding it was the most boring thing I've ever done.  Calling out numbers for an hour and a half and having them say "What?" after each one.  But they really do need the help! I also finally met Marquita!  Sister West has been telling me about her since I got here. When I was surprised at the state of Jennifer's house she said, "Just wait until you see Marquita's.  She was right... I won't go into any details to save you from worry Mom.  She is in the process of moving out so we went there to help her.  She is such a great lady!  She has gone through some absolutely horrible things in her life.  When we were done helping her clean, we were able to sit on her porch and share Ether 12:4 & 6 with her which talks about having faith and hope for a better world.  She definitely deserves a better world!  She has some mental problems including schizophrenia.  But she said she wants to work towards setting a baptismal date! The sisters have been working with her for a while.  She also has a daughter, Janiya, who also wants to be baptized.  I know that they can do it!

Wednesday was... interesting. We received a referral from the Church Headquarters which means someone requested missionaries in our area. Her name is Leslie Dunbar. We set up an appointment with her and we were really excited! We got over there and introduced ourselves and asked about her and why she requested missionaries. Well come to find out she belongs to some Baptist/Christian/ Pentecostal church and wants to become a missionary for her church... Her boyfriend was also there and he is working on becoming a minister.  So as you can see the lesson became interesting.  We did not get to talk much because they both just launched into this hour long talk about everything they do in their church.  It was all very difficult to understand.  At one point I was thinking to myself "They think we're Baptists!"  Basically what I understood is they are those people that believe in the holy spirit and that it knocks them down when they feel it... and at some point they talked about trances? and how her grandma is dying? and how they save people? and they only do things if he Lord "lays upon their heart"? It was NUTS. hahaha oh man. I don't know how Sister West and I got out of there. We finally were able to talk about the restoration for like 5 minutes and give them a pamphlet but by that time they had talked for an hour and a half and we needed to go. haha we set up a return appointment, but when we went back they weren't there. I am secretly kind of glad.  I know, bad missionary.

Thursday we went to the Assisted Living Center and helped with their morning devotions. Oh my gosh, another hilarious experience!  I wish I could film some of the things that happen to Sister West and I haha.  So the director of the center is from Brazil and he is super funny.  So we walk in there and there's some lady jamming it out on the piano and the director is playing his guitar and it's a bunch of old women and one old man singing Christian gospel songs. I wish I could describe to you just how funny it was! We sang "Down by the Riverside" and "He's got the Whole World in His Hands" and songs like that.  And then he (the director) had us read them some poems.  They have some characters in there!  There is one woman who doesn't sing any of the words but just sings "ahhhh ohhh" and stuff like that REALLY loud.  Oh it's so funny.  I wish I could describe it better.  After that we went to lunch with some of the older ladies in our ward.  Another interesting experience. They didn't ask us any questions, or really include us in any of their conversations.  The most exciting part was when one of the ladies brought out a confederate flag that she had bought for one of the ladies there.  So yep that is still here!  Really, really awkward. I had no clue how to respond to that one!  Also on Thursday we had another lesson with Cari!  It went really well. We talked more about the book of Mormon and prophets and how we have a living prophet today! I showed her the pictures of the Prophet and apostles in the Ensign and she called it a "yearbook.”  She is a super fun and sweet lady. But she has been reading the Book of Mormon! She is just waiting for a witness from the spirit.  We also talked about possibly setting up a baptismal date, but she says that she wants to feel 100% ready.  So we're still working on her!  Thursday night we went to the Kandare's and made cookies for some referrals that we have received.  Sister Kandare is an ANGEL.  She gives us rides, feeds us, and basically does everything for us.  She feels like my mom.  I am so glad to have her!

Getting ready to ride

Friday it rained!  That's about all I remember about Friday.  We had to bike and we went tracting, but had no success.  Sister West also has a cold so we have been taking it a little easy.  She's had it for a long time, but won't go to the doctor cause she doesn't have insurance and take anything, ie Sudafed because she has never taken cold medicine before!!! Her family doesn't believe in medicine.  So yeah.  Basically I'm probably going to get sick too.

MTC Selfie
Saturday was probably the worst day I've had so far.  We received a referral from the Elders so we went over there and taught her the first lesson. Her name is Chris and she is Catholic.  She seemed to be very receptive and open.  But then we asked for a return appointment and she said she didn't think she could do that cause she has a mental illness. Soo... yeah.  Then we tried to give out our cookies we made and nobody accepted them!  One guy said that he doesn't eat cookies (Yeah who doesn't eat free cookies) and then another was diabetic and the rest just weren't home.  So we ate the cookies.  Then that's when we got on Facebook and saw the post about mom.  Then we went over to the hospital to visit a member from our ward who has MS and is in and out of the hospital regularly. They are the Honeycutts and they are the nicest!  But Sister Honeycutt wasn't there so we didn't stay long.  We then found out that the bus wasn't running so we had no way to get home.  Thankfully, a member was able to come and get us.  Once we got back to our apartment, we decided to give Rose a call who lives in our apartment complex and the sisters have been giving service to.  So we went over there.  She is in a wheelchair and needs a lot of help so we just helped her fold some laundry.  We then shared a scripture from the Book of Mormon with her and bore testimony of it.  She then proceeded to talk about some of the craziest things I've ever heard in my life.  It became very clear that this woman had been researching on the internet and came across conspiracies and false information.  It was clear that she didn't believe in our church and was trying to persuade us that we needed to research more and "open our eyes.”  It was an extremely scary experience for me.  I felt absolutely awful.  I truly felt like it was Satan talking to me. Telling me untrue things about my church, and who Christ is (She talked about some conspiracy of records of babies being born to virgin mothers) and who God is (She kept saying "Geometry of Dimension, G.O.D).  It was just a very terrible experience.  It's clear that she is a very, very confused woman and it has become difficult for her to discern between things of God and of man. The feeling in that room was the complete opposite of what the spirit feels like. Thankfully she randomly started praying and we were able to leave.  Sister West and I just felt awful! We said a prayer and were able to feel a little better.

It was just so upsetting to me because I am never going to believe the "philosophies of man mingled with scripture.”  If it does not come from a living prophet or leader of the church\ called of god, the Bible, or the Book of Mormon, then it is not from God and is therefore not true.
Moroni 7:13-4
"But behold, that which is of God inviteth and eticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God.
Wherefore, take heed, my beloved brethren, that ye do not judge that which is evil to be of God, or that which is good and of God to be of the devil."

Satan is real and he is determined. I am so grateful for the knowledge and testimony I have that this gospel is true and I am not going to be persuaded otherwise.  Although it was a trying week, my faith has been strengthened so much! I know that the Lord has sent angels my way to bear me up on my right and my left.  These are the Latter days! But I am so glad to be able to participate in the gathering of Israel.  The field is white! There are many people here that I know that I was supposed to meet and invite them to join in the straight and narrow path.

The gospel is true! I love ya'll! (Sorry this email is so long) 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment